Author Topic: Gia Marie Carangi - My review of Movie "Gia"  (Read 5010 times)

Offline nuwan77

• බඩපිස්සෝ BadaPisso
Gia Marie Carangi - My review of Movie "Gia"
« on: October 05, 2005, 12:30:30 PM »
Advertisement
Gia Marie Carangi
Too Beautiful To Die, Too Wild To Live(1960 – 1986)
[email protected]

She is the first women to identify as infected by AIDS.

A professional model in fashion industry she earned a lot of money. However she died without a single penny in her pocket. Drugs brought her poverty and death. Doctors think that she was infected by HIV through a contaminated needle, possibly shared by a group of drug users.

Photographers loved to take pictures of her… but they call her as some one who hates letting them taking her pictures. Their art was what you can see on pictures.

“Every photograph has a promise. But that promise is never kept”

“Fashion is not art. Fashion isn’t even culture. Fashion is advertising. And advertising is money. And for every Dollar you earn some one has to pay.”

(1970s fashion industry boomed – This girl Gia from Philadelphia (Philly) came to New York during this time)
“It was the right moment… being there at the right moment is everything in fashion.”

All above comments are from industry giants who worked with her, during her short life time. Sometimes they afraid to sign with her. She was very wild, and unpredictable. That was why she was so special. Gia movie is based on her journal and comments made by her family and her best friend, lover.

Gia in fashion industry had many men on her bed. Sex was not something new to her. But love was not there. She was not afraid to loose her clothes given the right opportunity for that. However she found love. After all, she found love from her best fried. As I remember her name was Kimberly. She was her make-up artist. Gia loved this girl so much. And that was her brake through. She wanted her to be the queen of her world. She wants her to be in her side while the entire world walked away from her.  Gia gave her journal to her best friend, during her last visit to see her, before her death by AIDS. She wants her to safe guard that for her… to read it… to understand why she loved her so much.

Amazingly Gia has lived her short life time in the heaven and hell. At both places. These are some of the words I keep on my mind… They come from her journal, where she collected most of her writing and her crazy thoughts.

Heaven on Earth
Back again
Into
Under
Far in between
Through it
In it
And above…

---This Film is a biography. It has following few words at the end---

She died around 10.00 in the morning. They tried to pick her.
They tried to pick her off the bed, and she… the flesh just fell of her back.  It was just fell off. You don’t want to hear about that.

Ok what else? This is it…
This is what I was looking for.
“And the people said ….
Oh she is not beautiful at all
And they took her from the
Beautiful house and they drove her into street.
And she went away…
She never came back.
And soon people became hungry again.
And they went back into the beautiful house…
Looking for gold, but there was no one there…”

They say she knew, she really knew. She knew the whole story.
We found an undertaker, and it was hard. Believe me.  You know because of AIDS.  I don’t want people to remember her like that… because I didn’t want people to see her like that. I wanted people to remember her as beautiful… because that’s what she really was.

Life and death… energy and peace.
If I stop today, it was still worth it.
Even the terrible mistakes that I have made…
And would have unmade if I could.
The pains that have burned me and scarred my soul.
It was worth it…
For having been allowed to walk where I wave walked…
Which was to
Hell on earth…
Heaven on earth
Back again
Into
Under
Far in between
Through it
In it
And above…

www.thezreview.co.uk/ reviews/g/gia.htm
Has a full review from David  McDonals