Author Topic: Yahoo! launches new Web-based mail, a vast improvement over  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Sachitha

• ෆැන්ටසි රාළ FNLeader
  • You Dont Know About Me and you Will Never Know!
    • www.shgamez.com
Yahoo! launches new Web-based mail, a vast improvement over
« on: September 21, 2005, 02:50:34 PM »
Advertisement
Yahoo! announced a limited beta test of its new Web-based mail product, integrating technology obtained from their acquisition of Oddpost last July.

Client-like performance. Glory be, no more waiting for interminable refreshes! Opening emails are almost instantaneous, as are tasks like composing and replying to emails.

Drag and drop functionality. I can select multiple messages and drag them all into a folder.

Preview pane. Just as in Outlook, there are three windows in the interface, versus the two that exist today in Yahoo! Mail and Gmail.

Tabbed interface. Power email users typically have multiple emails open at a time, for example, they may be reading an email and composing another one at the same time.

Right mouse button and keyboard shortcuts.[b/] For example, a routine activity I do with email is to mark them for follow-up. In the new Yahoo! Mail, I can right click to mark it follow-up. In Gmail, I have to 1) select the message’s check box; 2) move my mouse up to a drop down menu; 3) click on “add a star”

Scroll through all mail messages. One nice feature is the ability to see all messages in the inbox or folder – not just the first 50 messages. It wasn’t instantaneous – I had to wait a split second for the messages to load. But then again, I was scrolling through my spam folder, which contained over 600 messages! It was pretty darn impressive. Gmail was also very quick to refresh the pages, but I could only see 50 messages per page at time, versus the continuous scrolling available on the new Yahoo! Mail.

Email search. Yahoo! has a much improved email search built into the new interface. Like Gmail, the search results in Yahoo! show snippets of the email content. But it also shows small thumbnails of attachments, which is pretty useful.